Clinical Telepsychiatry Tips
– Be very attentive and politely ask consumers to repeat themselves if you did not understand them for any reason- accents, technical reasons, background noise, etc. can all affect your listening.
– Collaboration with the onsite staff is paramount. They are your on-the-ground senses.
– Know what happened before the consumer meets you.
– Have an onsite staff member give you information on the patient’s vital signs and how they presented in the waiting room and the nurses office.
– The onsite person can also tell you if the patient, needs to bath, reeks of alcohol, tobacco, or marijuana, or had too many onions with their lunch.
– Pay attention to how a consumers walks into the room. You should also make sure you discuss a consumer’s mobility or lack there of with the onsite staff.
– Talk to the onsite staff about the consumer’s interaction with family members and other caregivers.